Sunday, June 11, 2006

Daniel…Man of Excellence, Rewarded by God

Daniel 1:8-16

When I take a closer look at Daniel and examine what exactly made Daniel a man of excellence…I find there are many areas in my own life that I need to examine more closely.

Daniel’s faith was his own…not an inherited faith…or a convenient faith. But a faith, born of studying and knowing God and his word. Daniel communicated with God though prayer and walked in obedience. He believed in God and had seen him at work in the lives of his people.

Daniel knew that at the end of the day…he would stand before God and give an account of his life and his choices. He chose to follow God and obey his word…even when it was inconvenient and risky.

Daniel was resolved and purposed in his heart to make the right choice, in part because he had been walking that godly and obedient path…all his life. His next step, his next choice…was in keeping with the one before. He continued on that same path of following and obeying God.

As a result of Daniel’s obedience to God and his word…he was able to be courageous. He was also winsome and attractive. He stood out…head and shoulders above the other boys taken captive.

God rewarded Daniel’s obedience. His desire to obey God by not defiling himself was granted. The officials showed favor upon Daniel and they recognized his excellence. As a result of his excellence and obedience…Daniel was not only a godly influence on others…but he was used by God as an ambassador to a pagan nation and king.

Daniel 1:8-16
6 Among these were some from Ju: Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah. 7 The chief official gave them new names: to Daniel, the name Belteshazzar; to Hananiah, Shadrach; to Mishael, Meshach; and to Azariah, Abednego.
8 But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way. 9 Now God had caused the official to show favor and sympathy to Daniel, 10 but the official told Daniel, "I am afraid of my lord the king, who has assigned your [
c] food and drink. Why should he see you looking worse than the other young men your age? The king would then have my head because of you."
11 Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, 12 "Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see." 14 So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days.
15 At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. 16 So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.
17 To these four young men God gave knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning. And Daniel could understand visions and dreams of all kinds.
18 At the end of the time set by the king to bring them in, the chief official presented them to Nebuchadnezzar. 19 The king talked with them, and he found none equal to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah; so they entered the king's service. 20 In every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king questioned them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his whole kingdom.
21 And Daniel remained there until the first year of King Cyrus.
Vs. 8 – But Daniel resolved. Daniel and his friends were 300 miles from home separated from their families and friends…separated from everything that would influence them to make them choose godly, right choices.

Despite having a name change Daniel knew who he was. He was removed from home, his family and from being in a place where his faith was celebrated openly. Daniel was now in a pagan culture.

Daniel resolved…not something new…not something that happened overnight…not something different. He had been walking in this manner all his life. But now…Daniel was faced with a choice. Was his faith really his choice or was it just something inherited from his parents? He now had a choice as to how committed he was going to be. Should he stand his ground and risk the consequences even if the consequences would be negative?

Daniel didn’t dwell on it…he wasn’t troubled over it. He knew what he had to do. Stand on the Word of God. In the past he must have witnessed the power, faithfulness and trustworthiness of God. His faith and belief in God was so strong…that he was able to make a seemingly risky decision.

It was something that came relatively easy for Daniel because he had been doing this all along. He was just taking the next step…one foot in front of the other.

I need to contrast that with when I choose to sin and do that which is not right before God. After I make that choice to sin the first time…it makes it all the much easier to choose to sin the next time.

Daniel chose not to defile himself…how would Daniel be defiling himself? If he complied with the direction of Ashpenaz he would have been eating the food and drink that God had forbid his people to eat. He would be eating food sacrificed to idols and false gods.

It would have been easier and less risky to just go along with the program. Compromise was not at all risky. More benefits would come his way. He would have been guaranteed favor with man if he just went along with the program.

But Daniel…knew it was wrong before God…the one true living God…creator of the universe, of heaven and earth…and of mankind.

I wonder did Daniel calculate that if he compromised how it would have affected others? His friends, the other Jewish boys taken captive? What would his witness about God have been if he had compromised?

What do I look like to unbelievers when I compromise? Is compromise attractive? Does it bear witness that there is something different, powerful true and right with God and his word when I compromise?

Now God caused…God moved in the heart of the official and he showed favor to Daniel.

Am I aware of when God intervenes and moves on my behalf? Am I sensitive to God’s leading and following closely?

The official trusted Daniel enough to relate to him honestly and confide that yes he wanted to help him…but he feared the king. Obviously that showed God’s hand was moving in the situation. But it also bears witness that Daniel must have been a safe person to talk to.

Ashpenaz was a powerful man…he had power over Daniel and his friends…yet he opened up to Daniel.

Am I a trustworthy. display integrity and invite people to share if they need or want to? Do I make the time to listen to people? Are people confident that when they share something with me that it will remain confidential?

Vs. 11 & 12 – Daniel said…please test us. Daniel stood behind his convictions. He had confidence that God would honor his desire to obey his laws. Yet…he was willing to take the risk, even in the event that God chose a different path (which we will see later in Daniel’s life.)

When I am given a “no”…am I ready and willing to continue to pursue that which is right…that which God would have me to do? Or do I knuckle under when faced with opposition?

Vs, 14 – Ashpenaz agreed to test them for ten days. What do you think Daniel and his friends were doing during those ten days? They prayed…a practice that Daniel would continue all his life. Daniel was so committed to prayer that he continued even at the risk of his own life.

Whom did Daniel turn to…or depend upon when he was far from home, held captive and in a foreign land? He depended upon God.

He likely didn’t have the scriptures or written word to read and depend upon. Daniel knew God’s word from the training of his youth. God’s word was hidden in his heart and in his mind…and that is revealed and apparent in Daniel’s actions and words.

Part of Daniel’s actions was communication with the living God…through prayer. Prayer is a relationship between people who care for and trust each other…with the lesser depending upon the greater. Daniel acknowledged his lowly state and his total dependence upon God.

Daniel was seeking to do God’s will. He was strengthened to do that which is difficult…especially when facing great opposition….when seeing people all around him going the wrong way. Turning away from God and his word.

Vs. 15 – At the end of ten days. This was an act of God. God honored Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah’s actions and faithfulness. God honored Ashpenaz taking a chance and risking the outcome.

God can do the same for me. Do the impossible…bring healing and health…and change a situation even when all seems hopeless from a human perspective. But it’s never impossible with God.

“For nothing is impossible with God."
Luke 1:37

Do I go to God; do I look to God when I am facing difficult and impossible circumstances? Or do I rely on myself? Do I look to man to save me or do I look to God?

Vs. 16 - So the guard responded. The guard saw…it was hard even for an unbeliever to not see the miraculous hand of God at work. However…not all will respond to the evidence of God.

As you respond to God…God will reveal more of himself to you. In contrast…when you fail to respond to the evidence that he presents to you…the time will come when God will stop. The problem is…you don’t know when that stopping point is. Only God knows.

The guard saw the evidence…and he acted. He did the right thing.

The boys were then given vegetables (grain) and water. God will set his people apart from the world. How will I respond? Do I want to be…am I willing to be distinct from the fallen world? Am I willing to be different? Being different may result in rejection by some.

Vs. 17 – God gave knowledge and understanding.

God continued to honor Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah. As they walked in obedience…God rewarded their obedience.

Do I see evidence of God’s rewards…of God being pleased with my obedience? And what do I do when God is silent? When God appears to not be moving or taking action? Do I stand in faith and wait upon God?

Sometimes God outwardly and openly rewards our obedience. Other times…God will require his people to walk obediently without reward, acknowledgement or praise.

Am I willing to walk obediently then? Am I still willing to give God praise when the rewards are not forthcoming? Or to I walk obediently and praise God only during the good times. Is my life a reflection and witness to God?

Am I a person of excellence? When people look at my life is there clear evidence that I am a person of God…a Christian?

Does my life and the choices I make reflect that I have a knowledge and belief in God…and seek to obey his laws?

When I study God, his word and obey…I can’t help but grown in wisdom and knowledge. God is all knowing. When I study God’s word…when I seek his face…I will grow in wisdom and understanding.

Daniel did not seek to do this work on his own power…but though the power of God. What about me? Do I approach problems and seek to solve them on my own power? Or do I turn to God and use the gifts that he has given me?

Vs. 18 – 20 – When you are a person of excellence…it is evident…even to the unbeliever. They too will recognize it.

Nebuchadnezzar found none equal to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah. They stood out…heads above all around them.

When you are a person of excellence…God can and will use you. God is looking for men and women of excellence. People whom he can use to be his ambassadors. People willing to be used in his service.

Am I a person of excellence? Am I resolved to obey God…even when far from home? Is my faith my own…and not just that of my family or culture? Will I purpose in my heart to not compromise God’s word? Will I choose to not be defiled by this world? Am I aware of how my life and choices affect others? Am I sensitive to God’s moving and leading in my life?

Am I a person of integrity…and trustworthy? Do I stand behind my convictions…no matter what? Do I turn to God in difficult circumstances? Do I regularly communicate with God through prayer and the reading of his word?

Do I praise God and honor him when he acts and intervenes on my behalf? Do I recognize God in the impossible situations of my life? Is my relationship with God growing? Is God revealing more and more of himself to me?

Am I willing to be set apart for God? Do I see evidence of God’s rewards in my life? Do I continue to praise God when there are no rewards and only silence?

Am I a person of excellence? Are those my words…or from the lips of others?

Will I choose today…and everyday to be a person of excellence? Dare I be a Daniel?